- JSTOR - An excellent resource for Archaeology, includes the full text of about two dozen anthropology and archaeology journals as well as hundreds of journals across the disciplines. Coverage begins with the first issue of each journal and includes all but the last 1-7years.
- Anthropological Index Online (AIO) - The Anthropological Index Online (AIO) is a comprehensive, user-friendly online bibliography of anthropology-related journals held in the Centre for Anthropology at the British Museum, London. It covers worldwide literature in general anthropology, physical and cultural anthropology, archaeology, ethnology, and linguistics. AIO includes 158 indexed journals dedicated to archaeology. This is an index, so when you find a citation you will need to check our Journals list and search by journal title to see if we own the journal. If we don't own the Journal, we can order articles from other libraries for you via Interlibrary loan. Just fill out this ILL form and we will email you the article.
- SocINDEX with Full Text - Coverage of sociology and related disciplines including anthropology and some archaeology.
Key topics: demography, ethnic & racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, religion, social structure, socio-cultural anthropology, etc.
- Academic Search Premier (Ebsco) -Large, multi-disciplinary, full text database with complete articles from several of the major archaeology journal.
- Social Sciences Citation Index (Also called Web of Science)- This is an multidisciplinary index, so when you find a citation you will need to check our Journals list and search by journal title to see if we own the journal. If we don't own the Journal, we can order articles from other libraries for you via Interlibrary loan. Just fill out this ILL form and we will email you the article.
SocINDEX with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive and highest quality sociology research database. The database features more than 2,035,000 records with subject headings from a 19,600+ term sociological thesaurus designed by subject experts and expert lexicographers. SocINDEX with Full Text contains full text for 746 journals dating back to 1908. This database also includes full text for more than 800 books and monographs, and full text for 11,991 conference papers.
SocINDEX with Full Text offers comprehensive coverage of sociology, encompassing all sub-disciplines and closely related areas of study. These include abortion, criminology & criminal justice, demography, ethnic & racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, political sociology, religion, rural & urban sociology, social development, social psychology, social structure, social work, socio-cultural anthropology, sociological history, sociological research, sociological theory, substance abuse & other addictions, violence and many others.
In 2012 the library upgraded from Academic Search Premier to Academic Search Complete. Academic Search Complete includes everything that was in Academic Search Premier, plus more.
Academic Search Complete has:
- Nearly 13,000 abstracted and indexed journals
- More than 8,750 full-text journals
- Full text for nearly 7,800 peer-reviewed journals
- PDF content dating back as far as 1887
- Searchable cited references provided for more than 1,400 journals
NOTE: If you are on a Mobile Phone, try this link for a cleaner interface.
The Anthropological Index to Current Periodicals in the The Anthropology Library at the British Museum (incorporating the former Royal Anthropological Institute library).
Full-text back runs of major academic journals. The Arts & Sciences I Collection, to which Millsaps subscribes, includes the complete back runs of 117 titles in 15 disciplines. Established in 1997, it is JSTOR's first collection and includes many of the core research and society published journals in economics, history, political science, and sociology, as well as in other key fields in the humanities and social sciences. This collection also includes a selection of titles in the more science-oriented fields of ecology, mathematics, and statistics.
Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities Bulletin published annually by the Archaeological Institute of America
From the National Parks Service a tool to provide online access to reports on archaeological investigation and planning.
Nestor is an international bibliography of Aegean studies, Homeric society, Indo-European linguistics, and related fields.
Click "Nestor Bibliography" to search the bibliographic entries from previous print editions of Nestor (1959-2010). There are currently over 41,000 bibliographic entries and over 11,000 reviews. Additions to the database occur monthly, one month after the print issue.
An online atlas of archaeology that uses satellite imaging and electronic mapping to depict the spread of agriculture, trade and urbanism.
Print Location: Johnson Collection - GN739 .H38
An inventory of regional survey projects in the greater Mediterranean region.
Print Location: Stacks - G1201.S1 C3 1996
Print Location: Stacks - G1046.E15 P3 1988
New Pauly Online includes all the volumes of Brill’s New Pauly and Der Neue Pauly, and is a dual-language (English and German) reference database. This encyclopedic database is a standard work for the study of the ancient world, and is interdisciplinary in nature.
This online database comprises:
- Antiquity (15 print volumes), which is devoted to Greco-Roman antiquity and covers more than two thousand years of history, ranging from the second millennium BC to early medieval Europe. Special emphasis is given to the interaction between Greco-Roman culture on the one hand, and Semitic, Celtic, Germanic, and Slavonic culture, and ancient Judaism, Christianity, and Islam on the other hand.
- Classical Tradition (5 print volumes), which is uniquely concerned with the long and influential aftermath of antiquity and the process of continuous reinterpretation and revaluation of the ancient heritage, including the history of classical scholarship.
The Oxford Companion to Archaeology, Brian M. Fagan, ed., 1996
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Archaeology
Encyclopedia of archaeology : History and discoveries
Reference Room - CC100 .E54 2001
The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites
Reference Room - DE59 .P7 1997
Archaeology of ancient Mexico and Central America : an encyclopedia
Reference Room - F1218.6 .A73 2001
Encyclopedia of archaeology. The great archaeologists
Reference Room - CC110 .E54 1999
Encyclopedia of precolonial Africa : archaeology, history, languages, cultures, and environments
Stacks - DT2 .E53 1997
The Oxford encyclopedia of archaeology in the Near East
Reference Room - DS56 .O9 1997
Archaeology and the Bible
Stacks - DS56 .B3 1933
ARTstor offers collections of art images and descriptive information as well as the software tools to enable active use of the collections. The ARTstor Library’s content includes approximately 300,000 images covering art, architecture and archeology. ARTstor’s software tools will support a wide range of pedagogical and research uses including: viewing and analyzing images through features such as zooming and panning, saving groups of images online for personal or shared uses, and creating and delivering presentations both online and offline.
Albania - Mallakastra Regional Archaeological Project (MRAP), Shala Valley Project
Mexico - The Labna-Kiuic Regional Archaeological Project
- Mexico -- Antiquities.
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Mexico
- Yucata?n (Mexico : State) -- History.
- Yucata?n (Mexico : State) -- Antiquities.
Hungary - Körös Regional Archaeological Project (KRAP)
Israel - Tel Zeitah
- Bible -- Antiquites.
- Palestine -- Antiquites.
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- West Bank.
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Israel.
- Israel -- Antiquities.
Italy - Roman Legacy Field Studies
Greece - Greek Legacy Field Studies
Library / Main Desk
Tel: (601) 974-1073
Use for works on the discipline of archaeology. Use with name of place as a subheading for a narrower focus. Use subheadings such as
Archaeology Methodology and Archaeology Field work for more specific aspects of Archaeology
- For the archaeology of a specific people or place, try using the name of the people or place as the subject heading with Antiquities as the subheading. For example, Mayas Antiquities, Indians of South America Andes Region Antiquities, Southwest, New Antiquities, Balkan Peninsula Antiquities, or Rome Antiquities
- To find Site Reports published as books or monographs in our catalog use the following words as a Subject Heading: Excavations (Archaeology)
Use with name of place as a subheading for locating works on archaeological sites.
- Prehistoric peoples
Use with name of place as a subheading for a narrower focus.
- Use Art, Prehistoric Art, Prehistoric for such things as rock paintings and cave paintings, but use Art, Primitive for traditional art of the preliterate and nonindustrialized people. There will be overlap.
Only some of the works will deal with human paleontology, however.
- For other topics related to Archaeology, try several synonyms, related or broader terms if necessary.
- CC: Archaeology
Here you'll find books on archaeology as a discipline, and related subjects such as methodology, preservation, and study and teaching
- GN281-289: Human evolution. Human fossils. Human paleontology
As long as the emphasis in on the anthropological perspective, books will be found here. If the approach is more biological, the book will be found in QH368.
- GN700-890: Prehistoric archaeology
Here you'll find books on actual archaeological sites, excavasions, and antiquities, but only from the most ancient of days, and not all books on those topics will be here.
- D through F: History
Here you may find books about archaeological sites, excavasions, and antiquities, if they date back only as far as the historical era. For example, some books on the archaeology of Africa will be found in the DTs, but others will be found in the GNs. Most books on the archaeology of Indians of North America will be found between E77 and E99.
- CC through F can be found in the lower, middle and upper stack tiers. Let us know if you need help.
- Library Map
- How to use Call Numbers to find books in the library